Monday, January 30, 2012

Lifelong Conversion

Today I would like to share some thoughts and experiences that have struck me throughout this last week on what it means to strive for conversion-for a lifetime. I remember during my training in Washington, DC, Father Joe Nangle summed it up pretty simply but profoundly. He said something like this...Lifelong Conversion is about being open to the spirit and simply saying yes to making the next right choice...for a lifetime. Easily done right?...Not quite. I remember this simple idea having an impact on me back in September, when I heard it, and it re-struck me again this week. Let me tell you why these words have strong meaning for me. Like any journey in life, if we look to far ahead we can be overwhelmed by the magnitude of it, and we also miss the precious moment which is this one single step-right now. Like the saying goes, “A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.”-Confucius In order to be aware of our decisions and actions each day it means we have to be constantly living in a state of contemplative action. This means we can’t say our faith or spirituality is something that only happens on Sunday, before a meal, or before we go to bed. Striving to live with the spirit, the true self-(to awaken to the true self is to know the divine truth of God), or whatever we decide to call it is a choice to grow towards that which is best in us spiritually, physically, and intellectually. Each decision and action taken either helps us strive towards that which is good, lovely, and pure or that which is destructive and decaying. Sometimes the choices are clearly good and bad and we easily know if our choice was right or wrong, but most of our choices fall into a grey category. To me these are the small daily choices that take contemplation and reflection in order to really understand their impact on our lives. Let me give you one example that happened to me during this last week. I am currently in an intensive six week language program. Each day we have close to four hours of classes with four different teachers and are expected to put in a significant amount of time studying at home as well. During this last week I have had a cold and have been feeling a bit run down. I started to allow my body feeling a bit run down to turn into doubt and frustration about me learning a new language. This doubt and frustration then began to turn into a negative attitude which quickly took me out of my inner peace and joy and got me to start pointing fingers at my teacher(s) and family. All of a sudden my teacher(s) became unreasonable with their expectations or weren’t patient enough for my slow learning etc. I started to think my family spoke too quickly, to softly, and slurred words together. They should know I’m just learning, why are they making it so difficult for me to try and understand. It almost felt personal and how I was responding with my body language and attitude was not seeking that which is best within me. Some of these thoughts and feelings lasted for about two days before I was able to reflect and contemplate on my choices and actions. It then became glaringly obvious to me what I was doing. It all started with a small bad choice of allowing frustration and doubt to creep in and that was just enough to fuel me into making another bigger poor choice. Luckily it didn’t take me too long to figure out what was happening. This is such a classic example of how each small choice really is important and is either leading us towards God, our best version of ourself, our true self, or towards destruction, despair, and that which is worst within us.

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing to read your blog! Thanks for sharing profound truths and your personal story. Praying for you and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael, It sounds like you are really making a difference and making an impact. We here in Rockfored are continuing to support your efforts in prayer and thoughts. Keep up the good work and we look forward to checking in with your blog. The Knights of Columbus will continue to support your efforts too!! God Bless YOU!! Dave

    ReplyDelete
  3. You articulated the key to life so well. Readjusting our attitude and actions when the difficulties of life come our way makes all the difference the world. I know I feel better when I am following into the best version of myself.
    I know you are working hard with learning the language and adjusting to your new home. Hope you feel God's presence especially during those difficult moments.
    God bless you, Michael.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael, as I was reading this particular entry, I was thinking how some people feel when they first come to church. It's almost like a foreign world filled with difficult theological terminologies that one has never heard before, yet everyone else seems to get it. The frustration and isolation perhaps you might be feeling are blessings. You are one step closer to sitting next to someone who is lost in the sanctuary. You'll be able to sense the loneliness of the person. I mean, where else would you feel that way anyway? You are so articulate, gentle, both physically and musically talented, plus handsome inside and out! (Yeah, no one can argue about that!) You don't need to try hard to be someone who not only fits in, but being liked by others because just being you makes people want to get to know you! I remember the frustration and anger towards myself and others when I fist started learning English. I used to think it was such a disadvantage that I could not say all that I wanted to say when I wanted to say it. Michael, I was wrong. It was one of the best things that happened to me. It made me humble. I began to look others including younger ones and children as my teachers. I respected them and all they had to offer to me more and more each day. If I was able to speak without any struggle, I probably didn't even learn to say "Thank you" from the bottom of my heart. So I encourage you to enjoy even those moments of frustration, and communicate "Jesus" through "Jesus." He'll be the Word you need when you can't think of any words. Blessings to you, my dear friend! Love, Yui

    ReplyDelete