Sunday, January 5, 2014

What´s Next...


Blog-What`s Next...

Two examples of earthbag homes

A number of years ago I read the book Walden, by Henry David Thoreau. It was at a point in my life, when I had recently begun the real questioning of the essentials of life. Who am I? Why am I here? Where am I going? And why am I going there?...I realized that I didn´t truly have any idea how to answer these questions outside of a superficial understanding of a belief system/faith/religion that had been handed down to me. Don´t get me wrong, faith was largely important for me and a large part of our family ever since I can remember, but I hadn´t made it my own. I didn´t know why I believed what I claimed to believe. So I started down the path of diving into life's great questions. 

In the book Walden, I was challenged in so many ways to think about life differently. The ideas I had constructed in my mind, of what is life and how should I live it, were radically changed by people like Jesus, the Buddha, St. Francis, Gandhi, Thoreau, Emerson, MLK Jr., Christopher McCandless, Mother Teresa, Greg Mortenson, Paramahansa Yogananda, Eckhart Tolle, and many others. The people and books that were entering into my life, were challenging me to live outside of what I had always known. I was enthralled with a childlike wonderment for the unknown. I really identified with the words of Throeau and romanticized the idea of doing something similar, in my own way some day, to his experience in the woods. He said, ¨I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.¨ I didn´t and don´t want to lead a life of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in me. 

Through the course of the years, this dream has not left me. I have now come to the point in my life where I have the opportunity to, in my own way, live life deliberately or in accordance with what I believe. I too want to ¨go to the woods¨ to an extent, and live life simply; stripping away the inessential, leaving me with more of what truly is important. Before you think I´ve lost my mind, and maybe I have, I´m not trying to go be a hermit somewhere. I use this example because of the stigmatism or stereotype associated with that type of lifestyle and not anything derogatory. I have deliberate intentions and reasons to move me more towards being ´in the world but not of it.`

My plans are to find some land outside of the Grand Rapids surrounding area, although I am open to the possibility of being somewhere else, and build my own off the grid self-sustaining home. I have been working on acquiring the skills necessary to be able to pull this dream off this spring/summer/fall time. Having very little costs of living will allow me to pursue a number of dreams that I have, continue a life of service without having to worry too much about income, and to be able to use the precious gift of life/time in a way that makes me and others fully come alive. 

I have been learning about many different ways of sustainable building that is ultra-cheap. This is a necessity for me financially but also something that I am excited to do. So often our pride can have us believe that we have moved on and evolved so much from our brothers and sisters in antiquity, and although we have in many ways, I find we have so much to learn from them as well. This process of learning has taken me back to our roots. I have a greater appreciation for the ingenious ways that people, over the decades, have found a way to live in harmony with our only planet and home-Earth. 

Over the last couple years, I have been involved in many service opportunities in Bolivia, and I know how fruitful, meaningful, and life giving they are. I have learned that, “the hands of the many must join as one, and together we`ll cross the river.¨ Well, I am now in a position where I am looking for a hand to help me cross the river and realize this dream. I am looking for a small piece of land at an affordable price (I wouldn´t turn down a full gift either:) I have the money to do the rest, but finding land that I can afford, is the biggest challenge I currently face. So I am asking you to keep your ears, eyes, and hearts open to the possibility of helping me out in realizing this dream. If you have any information on land, a friend or family member who might be interested, or you yourself can help me out, I would be forever grateful. 

I thank all of you who have continued to follow me through the years. It has been fun to have been able to share some of the experiences that have meant so much to me. It has been a blessing to receive emails, calls, messages and the rest, and it is what has continued to give me encouragement to write. It can be easy to think that no one cares,  and that its a waste of time, but I do not believe that to be the case. I know others of you have encouraged me in a variety of ways through your example, life, friendship, and it does matter. 

With much gratitude, 

You can contact me through email (mredell22@gmail.com) facebook, or my cell number. I hope to hear from you!




No comments:

Post a Comment